By Julie DeLong, A-1 Freeman Moving Group
We all like to think that our houses are our safe areas, though if you take a look at house through the eyes of a little one, there is peril at each and every turn. From the electrical outlets simply inviting little fingers to examine them to the unforgiving sides of fireplaces, all of the fixtures you never actually stopped to consider have now become a risk.
An excellent time to childproof your new house is just after the moving company in San Antonio arrives to unload your belongings. Then, you can set up your household as well as deal with safety issues in one swoop. Nevertheless, when you are moving is not the only occasion you ought to be mindful of things that are hazardous for your kids. You need to continually go through your residence room by room and make sure there aren't any concerns within reach.
Kitchen: It is crucial in the kitchen to place safety latches on all of the cabinet doors you do not want children opening and closing-especially all cabinets storing cleansers along with other dangerous items. Other options include:
- Storing all cleaning products up out of reach
- Putting covers on all outlets
- Locking all drawers that contain sharp objects
- Keeping glass containers and other breakables out of reach
Bathrooms: Water is incredibly dangerous to youngsters. Toilets may require an infant locking mechanism to keep them closed, and you’ll need to make certain to never leave water standing in your tub. In addition, think about turning your hot water heater down so that no potentially scalding water should come streaming through the taps. Also ensure that you:
- Put covers on all of the outlets
- Lock cupboards containing chemicals/cleansers
- Make certain kids have no ability to access prescription medications
Living Areas: Sharp corners are usually a massive risk factor in communal spaces. When tots are starting to maneuver around, it is easy to smack heads and tumble into edges. Safety buffers will go a long way in making these things much safer. Several other things to consider are:
- No looped wires on blinds or window treatments
- No unfastened power cords
- Safety covers on electric outlets
- Move large books along with other items that can be dragged off shelves out of reach
- Secure household furniture to the wall to circumvent tipping
- No climbing access from home furnishings to potentially harmful high spaces (for instance windows)
It is also a smart idea to take safety measures for bigger hazards. Stairwells could need gates to circumvent little ones from going up or slipping down. Places you do not prefer little ones to access can be secured with childproof handles. Swimming pools require secured gates. Remember-anything that looks like fun will probably be the target for investigation at some time in the future. Hence, as the moving company in San Antonio is unloading your things and you're unpacking at your new residence, make time to childproof each and every room….and keep your youngsters safe!