Don’t let the “D” word scare you! Yes, we are talking about Downsizing. When you are rationalizing moving in San Antonio, thoughts often come up about how many of your stuff you really need. Surely, you will start pondering on some things you should get rid of. You may ponder how to go about it. You may deliberate who will take the stuff you want to discard. You might question if you will feel remorse about getting rid of some of your belongings.
How to choose what to discard:
There are lots of considerations that you can go through when determining what to discard. You should try to remember when you last needed the item. If it has not seen the light of day in a long time, it is probably not something that you should hang on to. Think about if the item is still useful to you. If it is an article of clothing like a sweater, try it on. If it doesn’t, put it into the discard pile.
One crucial thing to avoid is putting off decisions. Oftentimes, this will lead to you keeping more things than you would have. Go with your gut and decide quickly if you should keep the item. When there are memories attached to items it can be emotional to give them away, but the memories will last even after the item has found a new home.
How to deal with your discard pile in San Antonio:
- Garage Sale: This might take some effort but will also get you more back than you would with other methods. The steps to throwing a successful garage sale is easy as pie. To start with, check for any city ordinances in San Antonio and homeowner association rules to make sure that you abide by them. Next, price your items a fair price, especially if you would just give them away for free otherwise. Next, advertise your sale. You need to have signs located on key roads that will lead patrons to their destination. It may be advantageous to submit advertisements online to lead more customers to your sale. Finally, sit back and enjoy making a little money while conversing with your neighbors. Click the Garage Sale Sign below for a more specific step-by-step guide to planning your garage sale in San Antonio.
- Donate Items: When you just want to get rid of your things, donating your items to a charity in San Antonio is a great way to do that. You will help a worthy cause. You will also benefit the next person who gets to use your item. It is a great, painless way to get rid of your stuff and keep it out of a landfill. Some organizations will even come and pick your donation up from your abode.
- Think about family and friends: If you know anyone in your family who is just starting out, asking if they need any items would be a wonderful idea. Otherwise, just spread the word that you are downsizing and you might be surprised about what people request. It will give you great happiness to give someone something that they need.
- Consider a storage solution in San Antonio: There will be some things that you will not want to get give away. If there is no room for them in your next living situation, consider renting a storage unit. This will allow you extra room for those items that you need for day-to-day living. If a storage unit is not in the numbers, think about if any family or friends would be able to stow items in their basement, garage or barn for you.
- Re-organize: Some items in your home could be stored more effectively. For example, if you have many DVDs, you could take them out of their cases and place them into a DVD folder. This will keep the amount of space you are using down, while allowing you to keep more.
Downsizing your home to get ready for a move will take time. Think of all the time that it took to compile everything you own. Nevertheless, once you have downsized successfully you will be pleased that you did it. You will be able to focus your time on the things you truly cherish and have uses for.