Factors that Affect Your Moving Estimate
If you’re relocating, you no doubt have a lot of considerations—and many expenses. The last thing you should have to worry about are surprises when it comes to your estimated moving costs. That’s why you need the assistance of an experienced and creditable mover who will help you to uncoverways to cut down your moving expenses, and who will provide you an correct estimate of what those expenses will be.
How to Find the Best Company for Your Move in San Antonio
For starters, you need to know not every moving company is created equal. Some are seasoned, reliable and trustworthy—others are not. Per Consumer Reports, for example:
“Some moving companies quote lowball prices and then, once the move is underway, hold their customers' property hostage until they pay much more. Others demand substantial deposits and then don't show up, says Katherine Hutt, a spokeswoman for the Better Business Bureau.”
The good news is that you can discover a reputable company to help you move by simply doing some research. You can, for starters, certify their credentials (including their carrier number from the Department of Transportation) and read online ratings and complaints.
You should also review their website—the best movers are often recipients of recognized awards—like the Pinnacle Mover Designation Award and the North American Quality Award—and will often times post these awards on their website.
How to Interpret the Factors of Your Moving Costs in San Antonio
Many factors go into the cost of your move. For instance, what you pay will be based partially on considerations such as the total weight of your belongings and the distance to your new home. There are several other items, however, which will affect the amount of your moving estimate, including the following 6:
- Packing and crating costs: Remember, you’re paying your moving company for their time. Certainly, they will need more time if you ask them to pack your possessions. You can save money by packing some or all your belongings yourself. You can cut expenses some more by disassembling large pieces of furniture instead of having the mover do it for you. In addition, you’ll plunk down more for certain kinds of packing and handling. For instance, if high value things like artwork or a grandfather clock require crating, your cost will be higher.
- Poor accessibility to your pick-up or drop-off location in San Antonio: If your current or future home is in a location which forbids access for a large truck (for instance, because of a narrow road or a weak bridge), your movers will need to find another means to get your things from your old home or into your new one. For instance, they might need to use smaller vehicles to gain access. In this case, you will need to pay the mover a shuttle fee.
- Stairs or long walking distances: The cost of your move will also be higher if there are very long stairs (or multiple stairs) which they need to maneuver your belongings up or down. You could also have to pay a long-carry fee if the area from the moving truck to the entrance of your residence is more than 50 feet.
- Narrow doors or hallways: If some of your items don’t fit through the door or down narrow hallways, a rigger could be required to hoist them through a window. In this case, you could be assessed a hoisting fee.
- Storage fees: This is one of the more prevalent reasons for increased costs. If you have to put into storage some or most of your belongings at the carrier’s warehouse because your new home is not ready to be occupied, you’ll be required to pay an additional storage fee.
- Time of year: Summer is the craziest moving time of the year, which means that moving in the summer will be more expensive. You can save money if it’s possible to time your move from September to May. You will also pay more if you move on a national holiday or on the first or last day of the month (this is because rental agreements typically expire at these times, which means more people move then).
Moving companies don’t get a reputation for integrity, authenticity and trustworthiness by chance—they earn it by helping their clients, giving them guidance and working everyday to secure that trust. The most vital thing you can do to obtain a safe move and lower your costs is to find the kind of moving company which cares about you and your family and will work hard to ensure your complete satisfaction.
To learn more about our residential, office and corporate relocation services, contact us today.